Wednesday, June 17, 2015

R2 Response

Sound, I believe is the most important piece of the video puzzle. I take a lot of pride in the soundscapes I can create whether complex or simple, sound can tell a story differently with each accent or exaggerated beat. I was taught during the acquisition of my Associates degree in film that sound pains landscapes and changes moods, delivers messages, and can carry a film. The turning of a door knob can replicate a shotgun cocking back; squeaky shoes can mimic birds chirping. And sometimes the faux sounds are actually better to use than the original. I was excited to read about "soundwalking" in the article by Jim Cummings. I have done this often and as Andra McCartney states within the article, “I pay attention to the sounds in my environment with the same focus and awareness that I use to listen to music, or to the sound of my lover's voice. Like many simple experiences, soundwalking is often profound as well. The act of focusing on that moment, that place and time, leads me to hear that place differently, to understand it in new ways." Compare this to Justin Boyd's experience as he creates his own sounds as well as getting them from the environment around him.  

I come from a small town and I live in a very quiet community, relatively speaking as sounds are prevalent everywhere, but I like quiet times. I believe that noise pollution is growing worse and more complicated with each passing day. With more technology and more equipment being invented everyday, sounds are often deafening. Sitting in traffic is like a whipping wind of incessant cars and trucks only inches from our ears. I enjoy how Murray stated that cities are like "sonic sewers" that rings true with me. We're all forgetting how to listen because we're bombarded by noise so regularly that  wemiss out on sound.   

No comments:

Post a Comment