Sunday, May 31, 2015

Cameraless

This was a project for college students to channel their inner gradeschooler. Messing around with paint, markers, tape and toys, who could ask for anything cooler? The cameraless edit was pretty fun and my partner Adam was very easy to work with. Thank God for good partners who either don't have ADHD, or have ways of controlling it that keep me on track! We had a lot of fun doing the project and I learned that film can be way cooler than digital.  

It was a bit of a challenge for me at first as I began to work on the film because I hadn't ever attempted to do anything like it. Manipulating the film strips was as interesting as it was foreign. I think my favorite area of manipulation was the magazine transfers. It was a method I'd never heard of and found it to be really effective. Given more time and a longer edit I would have used much more of this style to portray my message. It is amazing how my idea actually looked better than I thought it would have. I expected to see nothing but blobs of color and silly images (which actually happened) but it came across nicely as I portrayed earth and air.

I found that scratching seemed to give the best effect overall. It was more noticeable (on the film strip) than painting or bleaching but it was a little more time consuming. As far as the clear strip, I really liked adding shapes as they transformed into images that I didn't expect to see with a surprising result.  

This was a really fun project.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment